For students who want a stronger imaginative focus during their high school years, attending one of the best art boarding schools may be a dream come true. Art is a one field study that needs special attention, because it is creativity, and creativity is a frame of mind and an approach to life.
Art boarding schools will involve you in the arts much deeply, it depends on how far you want to go. Graduates of this program frequently begin easily in college or university art programs, sometimes majoring in the area they were in high school.
There are only a few private and independent arts boarding schools in the United States like Idyllwild Arts Academy in Southern California, Interlochen Arts Academy in Northern Michigan and the Walnut Hill School for the Arts in Massachusetts, just west of Boston.
An art boarding high school can help your talent and potential for growth as well as open many doors to the future. It is also a good place to help you learn how to organize the demand of your art field along with academics.
The Cost of an Art Boarding School in the US
The minimum cost of attending art school is $42,000 so majority of these schools in US now offer need-based financial aid. Some students now also have another creative method of raising money to pay for their study from crowdfunding to performing to applying for outside grants and scholarships.
The Expectation of Arts Boarding Schools from Candidates
- An art boarding high schools expect that you should be involved in arts already as part of the admission process, audition or submit a portfolio to be considered for admission.
- You should be able to attend high school summer program on campus because all art boarding schools in the US offer summer programs in different areas like instrumental and vocal music, songwriting, photography, filmmaking, creative writing, theater, music production, and dance.
List of Top Art Boarding Schools in the USA
- Walnut Hill School for the Arts is an independent boarding and day high school who offer a transformational educational experience purposefully designed for student artists in grades 9–12, with a postgraduate year also available.
Enrollment Rate: 88%, Student to Faculty Ratio: 6:1 and Tuition Fee: $66,390, $49,990 both Boarding and Day student.
- Idyllwild Arts Academy is the country’s premier and internationally-approved residential arts high school (9th-12th; PG). It is also a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum to a diverse student body of gifted young artists from all over the globe.
Enrollment Rate: 90%, Student to Faculty Ratio: 3:1 and Tuition Fee of $68,432, $65,091 both International and Boarding.
- Interlochen Arts Academy is a fine arts boarding high school offering grades 9-12 and a post-graduate year. It is based in northern Michigan, the high school prepares young artists for rewarding careers and encourags academic excellence. The art boarding school major areas of study include theatre, music, interdisciplinary arts, creative writing, film and new media, dance, and visual arts.
Enrollment Rate: 80%, Student to Faculty Ratio: 6:1 and Tuition Fee: $66,875, $38,000 for Boarding and Day student.
- Besant Hill School of Happy Valley small size, committed faculty and staff, and beautiful location in the Ojai Valley make it a one of a kind place to study for students from around the world. The school is approved by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), and is also a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS).
For further information, click here.